02 May, 2010

Spring's the Thing

We had a few days of glorious weather, sunny and almost too warm. Now we are having a spell of windy chilly weather with intermittent rain. I am glad that I haven't ignored the 'average last frost date' data this year and planted anyway in the delusional belief that my fervent wishing for summer will keep the last of the chilly spring weather away!

The seed starts are coming along nicely and I should be able to move things into my unheated greenhouse before long.

The unexpected garden challenge this spring is the addition to our family of a lovely dog. Who loves to dash about the yard with abandon and who would take digging in the dirt as an invitation to dig right along with me. I will need to devise a fencing scheme that keeps her out, lets me in, and doesn't look ugly. I'm not asking for much, lol!

The valerian, columbine and chocolate mint I planted last year have all come back up this spring. The valerian and columbine I started from seed, so those are especially gratifying. The mint I planted into a spot where if it spreads it won't cause problems, and I'm really hoping it spreads wildly because it is a delicious mint.

My raspberries, mugwort, chives, thyme, tarragon have all emerged from their long sleep; and the who-knows-where-they-came-from Johnny Jump-ups in the garden are blooming madly. I see my scheme to let the borage go to seed and thus never buy borage again has worked, as there are a plethora of little fuzzy baby borage plants emerging as well. Roses are putting out leaves, and a few of the iris have lovely green leaves.

I didn't plant the iris. They were already here, victims of being seeded over with grass at some point. I've tried to rescue them, but have had limited success (and only a couple of blossoms). I'm going to relocate the ones that have survived in one last effort at saving them.

I need to prune the sage and see how well the lemon balm is coming up.

So much to do, so little time!

No comments: