15 May, 2010

Audiobooks

One of the things I enjoy doing is crafting, whether that be cross stitch or knitting, scrapbooks or crochet (indeed all manner of crafts tickle my fancy). I also enjoy some sort of background sounds. Movies just don't work well for this as I'm not so clever that I can watch the movie at the same time as I watch my hands. Listening to music or the radio programs is a pleasant option.

Our local library recently signed up with a state-wide audiobook network that allows patrons to download audiobooks for free from their website (rather than checking them out on cassettes or cds).

Our library participates using the Overdrive Media Console (link). The thing that really pleases me is not having to worry about late fees due to forgetting to get books back to the library on time. Each audiobook I download will automatically 'expire' at the end of the lending period.

Something other people really like is that they're able to transfer the books to their portable devices and listen to the books "on the go".

In looking at OMC's website, it appears that the service is available in a lot of countries, so you can check to see if your local library participates. Countries I see listed are Australia, Canada, Ireland, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Taiwan, Turkey, United Kingdom and United States.

It also offers a search of digital booksellers if one wished to purchase the audiobooks instead of just borrowing them.

No comments: