16 March, 2010

As the Drum turns

A drum carder for carding fiber, that is. I got to play with one yesterday, and while I don't much care for the feel of fiber still "in the grease", I absolutely love drum carders! I have little patience for much of the "fleece to yarn" process, and if I had to hand card a fleece to spin it into yarn in order to knit or weave garments to keep me warm... I'd have to migrate or freeze, LOL!

But my preference is still strongly for acquiring yarn already in the state known as yarn, not as fleece or rollags or plies or any of that.

What is fascinating to me is how each of us have arts and crafts that call to us and really resonate with us, as individuals. My good friend loves all this fiber & fiber processing stuff. Loves it. Like fish love swimming.

Truly, I can see the appeal of carding and spinning. There is a rhythmic hypnotic quality to it that is pleasant. Getting lost in the pile of rollags and the rhythm of twisting fiber into plies and time flitting by, "coming to" when you reach the end of your pile and realizing an afternoon or morning or evening has been whiled away and glorious beautiful beginnings of yarn are on the bobbin.. that does sound a bit alluring.

But not as alluring as just giving the fleece to my friend who loves this stuff and some day getting back something that looks wearable! :)

No comments: